Friday, September 13, 2013

The morning was extremely difficult for me as twice we did a "walk out" with Jeff to the cesspools on Haiti's beautiful Caribbean shore.  I became overwhelmed with grief and tears filled my eyes causing sunscreen to burn my eyes and then my nose filled from the stench.  I carried a child in my arms and others hung to my limbs.  There was not a clean patch on my filthy t-shirt to wipe my eyes and nose.  But these people live on this cesspool every single day.  On the second walk-out I realized that we were  not only walking on feces, glass, tin cans and rags, but the most beautiful seashells I have ever seen.  These were large shells that anyone walking on clean shores would immediately scoop up.  Such a contrast between nature's beauty & filth.  I also noticed among the debris, a small insole from a child's shoe and on it were stamped the words "focus on the children".  Two children about 4 or 5 years old held each of my hands and helped me maneuver through the filth.  There are many lessons to be learned today and it will take me time to process.

And then, of course, God shows up with His sense of humor:

Upon returning to the water truck, a few of us women on the team noticed a lovely Haitian women with a creative hair ornament.  For any of you that would like to try this at home, simple put a ponytail on each side of your head at the top.  Place a small pair of hot pink little girls underwear with a picture of Mickey Mouses's head stamped on the butt over your hair and pull the two pony tails out through the leg holes.  Voila!

An afternoon at Juneau's Orphanage was a welcome respite from the morning emotions.  Upon entering the gate we were greeted by 18 children and their dog "Soupy" - love that name!  After a tour of the two (yes just two small bedrooms) we walked outside to a rough cement slab play area.  One small cardboard box held the toys.  The building included a small classroom.  The children sang us several songs including some in English.  As they clapped their hands we presented them with small musical percussion instruments.   We set up 5 art stations outside - finger painting, water color painting, face painting, play dough, and crayons.  Construction paper and sissors rounded out the fun.  Haiti has some budding artists!  Candy, stuffed animals and clothing were handed out prior to leaving and we received hugs, kisses and I love yous.  I left my heart at Juneau's.

-Linda









2 comments:

  1. GREAT pictures - really says a lot - about how BLESSED we all are. mco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the posts and the pictures. We miss you Grandma Linda. Lincoln says "Hi grandma, we made new cookies. We just wanted to see if you are having a good time in Haiti." He's been praying for you everyday.

    ReplyDelete