Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Today was a hard day for me.  In the morning six of us went to the orphanage for the disabled children. As you enter you are overwhelmed with children with many different disabilities.  Because the staff is short, when we arrived we were surrounded by children begging to be held. When you think you do not have room in your arms for another, you somehow find the room.  Then you notice all the children in the wheelchairs, they are trying to communicate to you to come and pick them up.  Children that are blind, hard of hearing, cannot walk, have spines that are crooked, one little baby was so badly burned, her hand was burned off.  Her head was covered with scabs as her healing was taking place in her body.  To look in her beautiful eyes, I could only see Jesus in her.
We loved on the kids for the morning, Michael played his guitar and the children gathered around him and sang and swayed to the music.
In the afternoon, I was to go to the wound clinic, to clean the wounds of patients.  Somehow, even before the trip, I felt God was telling me this is where I would be going.  When the opportunity arrived for me to go there today, I knew I was to go there, even though it was way out of my comfort zone, but wasn’t that why I was here to get out of my comfort zone.  We got in the top top in the afternoon to meet with the nuns to go to the wound clinic and when they got there, they told us they did not need us today.  My disappointment was strong.  
So, we returned again to the same orphanage we were at in the morning.  It took all I had to go in again, it was hot and the children were even more needy.  I needed God’s strength to pick up another child.  God always comes through!  I was blessed, I pray the touch and the smiles, were an encouragement to the children and the workers there.  As I walked away, I thought of those people that work there day after day.  God bless them, they are the hands and feet of Jesus.  
Barb Larson


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me cry at work. ;)

    I was reminded of all of you in Haiti as I listened to a song on my drive in this morning:
    "Won't you break my heart 'til it moves my hands and feet... Won't you bring your love to life inside of me..."

    I pray those words encourage you as you begin another long day or are ending one.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pass the kleenex. God bless you all for being the hands & feet of God.

    ReplyDelete