Thursday, September 11, 2014

Meals On Wheels

Well, today has been another incredible day. We had the opportunity to serve the elderly with Haiti’s version of “Meals on wheels.” Our first stop was to Marie’s place.  She is only 104 years young.  When we arrived she was sitting in her 1 room home.  Which is basically an oven. I would guess an 8x8 room made of brick and only small holes as windows. There was virtually no crosswind.  Inside was a small bed covered in a mosquito net.  4 feet away was her stove. An open fire pit.

We brought her outside to talk and sing her songs.  This was incredible.  I sat down right next to her.  We held hands, hugged and all sang together.  Some say she was even flirting with me…what an honor!   She said her secret was a faith in God.  How amazing was this?  She had been living there since she was 18, in conditions that most of would have most likely have NOT been able to endure.  There she was, 86 years later, still having faith in God, with a big heart, and even bigger smile on her face.  What an inspiration.  A woman we can all learn from.

We delivered another 4 meals.  In one of the homes there was a beautiful 61 year old woman named aloude.  She lived in a 3 room brick home with her son-in-law and uncle.  As we sang, her grandson was enjoying the music and running around.  He looked about the same age as my son Asher.  Lisa picked him up and fed him a little apple sauce treat.  I grabbed him and tried to squeeze every bit of apple sauce out of the single serving container.  When that was gone I just held him tightly in my arms.  After a few songs he fell asleep…right on my shoulder.  

This was yet another beautiful moment for me to experience.  Within an hour I had been touched by two very special people, who were about 102 years apart!  Who was this trip for anyway?  Clearly I am getting more out of this than I could ever give away.   

Thanks again for all of your support!

Trevor 









3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for doing this and sharing your experiences, T-dawg. Big love&hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, you are awesome. What an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much love in those hugs, what an exchange of your beautiful spirits! Sending love to the whole group, thank you for all that you're doing!

    ReplyDelete