Friday, September 12, 2014

Worship and water, Friday, Sept 12

Today was another one of those days in Haiti. Just when you think it couldn't possibly get more emotional, God exposes another level of depth you didn't think you had.  We woke up early to go worship in a Haitian church. From the moment you stepped inside you felt His spirit. The band was playing up tempo songs and the paster was on fire. The people were so deep in prayer very few even noticed we had walked in. The whole service was in French/Creole but many of the songs were familiar.  The ones that weren't familiar you could tell what they were saying by the expressions on their face and the passion in their eyes.  Truly a beautiful service.

We then met the water truck in Cite Soleil to deliver water.  This time I knew what to expect and I knew my role, so I wasn't necessarily expecting anything new. We exited the vehicle and started serving water.  Since we really only need a few peeps to man the water hose, the rest of us can help carry water, help lift onto the heads of those needing help, or my favorite, hug a child and give him or her love. After meeting a few, laughing and playing with them, a young girl slowly walked up, gave me a shy little smile, and motioned for me to pick her up. When I picked her up she gave me the tightest little hug she could give....and held on tight. After a few minutes I gained her trust and she was able to loosen her grip, and sit comfortably in my arms.  We were standing directly behind the truck where most of the chaos is. Hundreds of buckets lining up, hundreds of children running about, trying to find a spot in line and/or asking for help to carry their buckets.  It's a pretty crazy scene. When all of the sudden the little girl I was holding started to gently sing a song in my ear.  Her voice was tender, innocent, and at almost a whisper.  At that moment the whole world stopped for me. All the noise, screaming and laughing disappeared. It was as if I was in a movie.....you know when the sound cuts out and everything turns to slow motion? That was what I felt. Nothing on the entire planet mattered at that moment. It was just me and that little girl, and her whispering voice, singing a song in French/creole. I will never forget this moment.

Another amazing day in Haiti. Again, thanks for your support!

Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment