Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Stretched

The things I've seen, heard, smelled, felt since arriving in Haiti are almost beyond words for me. However I will try to find a way to communicate a piece of it. I've been trying to process all of it. Thousands of children that are hungry--starving. They are thirsty. But when they see us they want to be held and hugged. Their thirst and hunger for love is greater than their physical thirst. I held and saw babies today that are so malnourished and sick that they are near death. I've never held such sick babies. It was hard, and I will never forget it. I pray I never do. The living conditions are unrecognizable as houses, much less homes. There are animals eating trash at the side of the road. It is hot and dirty and comfortable. I feel like I've seen a glimpse of hell. The gnashing of teeth.

I don't know the reference, but Scripture talks about that to him who has been given much, much will be required. The funny thing is that I've always sort of thought He must not be referring to me... Because I don't really have too much. And so I didn't think it applied. This week I've learned He IS talking to me. I have been given much--undeservedly--by God's grace and his love. It does apply to me. I have been stretched.



Susie Passons 



No comments:

Post a Comment